I had to write one of my recent reports in IEEE format. Although IEEE does provide all the necessary files and guideline, I had to spend quite sometime to get the things working with LaTeX. So here is a step by step procedure on how to use the IEEE template in LaTeX in Ubuntu and Fedora.
- Download the template from the IEEE Manuscript Template page. Presently the file-name for Unix is "IEEEtran2.tar.gz".
- Extract this file in a folder IEEEtran.
- Within that create a subdirectory "bibtex"
- Download the bibtex file "IEEEtranBST1.tar.gz" from the same IEEE Manuscript Template site to this directory and extract.
- For Ubuntu users:
- Move IEEEtran directory to /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/
Move IEEEtran directory to /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex
- After following these steps, you have to restart LyX.
- Go to Lyx > Tools > Reconfigure
- Restart LyX
- To use this template just select IEEEtran from the Document Settings.